View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
PohsFriend

"I told you so" is a crappy thing for anyone to say.

I'm sorry you had a bad night.

I see some things in your description that hit home for me.

Couple thoughts:
1. Borrowed from Gottman: sarcasm is a form of contempt. There are complaints, criticisms and contempt. Complaints are fine, the other two destroy.

2. After a week of hell dealing with the emotional fallout of my AWs lapse in recovery I realized I wanted the wrong things. I wanted my wife to be emotionally and physically healthy and want her to manage her life more effectively. That's a crummy goal since I can't attain it... She can. Now I want to be emotionally and physically healthy, manage MY life better and be happier and at peace. My wife can't do that, I can. She could make it harder or easier but I need to own my stuff and she had to own hers.

So in number two that is a bigtime do as I say not as I do but that's what I am shooting for. You can't make someone be a great spouse, you can only be one.

It's hard to do that when you feel like the other spouse is not doing their part but if I do my part I am going to feel good about me and I am going to have a much chance of influencing my wife by being someone she wants to be around and being loving and kind.

It ain't easy but I am learning it is simple.

Take a breath, a bad session of counseling is better than no session, progress hurts.