View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hypatia

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Let me tell you what my husband did about my drinking. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He did have boundaries, if I kept drinking and using, he was going to move out because he will not live with an active drunk. Otherwise, my actions showed him my recovery.

He still doesn't know a dang thing about addiction or alcoholism, doesn't have to.. doesn't matter. I'm either the person he is willing to share his love and life with, or I'm not. So far I've proved that I am, on the flip side, so has he. We all have boundaries about what we'll accept in our lives. If we don't.. well.. that's trouble.

My recovery is none of his business, and he has never made it so.

I would have recovered with or without him. I had to.

He's never asked me if I've drank or used..I think he drinks a glass of wine when he's out with clients a couple times a month, I actually have no idea.

I'm just a non drinker, and I don't use drugs. The rest of the crap I had to do to get there was incredibly intimate and personal to me, and I share that with nobody.
Wow. This post has really gotten to me, in a good way. I had a real lightbulb moment after reading it. I know that I've read similar things here before, but somehow this time these words have really resonated with me:

My husband's recovery is none of my business. I don't need to know a dang thing about addiction or alcoholism. He will either become again a person I am willing to share my love and life with, or not.

That's all there is to it. Talk about being simple.

Thank you!