View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Good points, one and all. I guess part of it depends on where you draw the line around recovery? To OTT's point, I've done my share of philosophical exploration since I quit drinking, particularly stoicism, and have even brought up on some threads how I see AVRT and stoic principles reinforcing one another.

But I consider that life work; my abstinence does not depend on it. If anything, it's the other way around; abstinence freed me to examine other aspects of my life. I think that is what Dalek is rebutting: The notion that abstinence requires doing this that or the other thing.

In my case, it doesn't. Sounds like it doesn't for you, either. Maybe that's why AVRT appeals to us, because it's focused on solely on quitting?

Originally Posted by Auvers
I do not get these concepts.
Me neither, because they obviously differ from my personal experience. But I'm mindful of the fact that lots of people don't get AVRT. That doesn't make AVRT any less valuable to me. By the same token, concepts others find useful do not require validation from me. Like Lennon said, Whatever gets you through the night..