View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Auvers

The "REAL" work ??

I have 3 months of sobriety and found this site a month ago. It has been helpful to read other people's stories and to read of their journey. Since I have always been an introvert, over-stimulated by large groups to the point of numbness, and also intensely private -- I would never go to a group meeting. My sobriety has been a personal journey, at first just getting through the days, gradually doing more thinking and evaluating the impact alcohol made on my life and choices. As the weeks have gone by, I have found myself doing things I had neglected, being a much better listener, a softer, gentler person, more conscious of other people's needs and feelings. I feel grand knowing that as the weeks go on, I will have the opportunity to uncover more of the real me. I truly feel empowered.

I keep reading on this site about there being a difference between staying sober and being recovered; a difference between dry and sober; the need to do the "real" work after getting sober. I do not get these concepts. To me, it seems that subtracting the alcohol allows a person to access their strengths, talents. What is the "real" work I should be doing?