View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Oh man, I know you don't want to hear this... but your list reads like mine. Except mine was titled: "All the Habits I Need to Stop".

It was this type of behavior that drove me to distraction with my attempts to control my husband. I fully understand your reasoning & thought process here.... really, I do. But as I read over your proposed contract items I also realize that you are attempting to apply a logical, rational solution to an emotional, illogical situation.

I wish I had better advice, but I found that my best defense was to withdraw all efforts of control. No matter how many fences I put up, it was just more jumping for AH to do, does that make sense? Something like this would never work for us, would make him feel more constrained & build resentments on both sides. Plus, it's literally impossible for me to track another human being 24/7 & stay sane. None of that builds trust which is so important to me in my relationship.

I realize too, that her being pregnant changes things a lot. But I think that beyond policing her activity until she delivers your son, you really have zero chance of making any contract work. If she wants to drink badly enough, she will. If she wants to lie about it, she will. You can't change who she is no matter how many rules you want to enforce.

Again, just my opinion, & I realize it isn't the kind of response you want to hear.