View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

For those who are new here or don't know my story--

I was married to an alcoholic for 20 years. Separated from him in 2005, divorced in 2007. (Failed reconciliation attempt) I had truly lost myself in that marriage and now I was divorced and a single parent of two children (ages 13 and 9). I set about trying to figure out what I wanted in my life. I went to counseling, tried some community college classes, got involved in local politics, ballroom dancing, etc. All while grieving my lost dreams and working through all that anger and sadness.

Then, in 2009, I bought a new camera. I had always enjoyed taking pictures, but never took it too seriously. This new camera could do EVERYTHING! But, alas my photos were still mediocre. That's when I got obsessed, lol. I took classes, read books, and practiced till my eyes hurt! I thought I would never find who I was, but once I bought that camera I knew. This was it.

In a few weeks, I will turn 50. My daughter is grown and moved out of the house. My son has two more years of high school. I've taken an early retirement buyout and will soon become a full-time photographer. Four days ago, I sold the biggest, most expensive print of my career. (48" @ $200 net)

Life is good. I would not be where I am today had I insisted on hanging on to the life I thought I wanted. Letting go is scary stuff, but oh the rewards. The life I have now far exceeds the life I had planned. Who knew?

L