Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sunshine2
The sun still shines

My signature means to me that I have reached a point of acceptance. After 10 years of trying to save my son from his addiction, after 10 years of trying to get him to behave in the way I wanted him to behave (getting clean), after 10 years of making him responsible for my happiness and experiencing misery because he wouldn't/couldn't, I finally found acceptance 2 years ago that he is on the path that he chose.

He wants to live the life he is living and by me trying to force him to do things my way, I am making us both miserable. By finding happiness and peace within myself in spite of what he is doing, I have made his burden lighter. I have also given my younger son the gift of living a life without addiction in the house.

The strange thing is that for the last 2 years I have been able to be with my son without the insane arguments we used to have. Since I stopped spending all our time together telling him how he should be and what he should do, I can be with him in peace. I still choose to avoid him when he is high as my son is not there during those times.

My signature also reminds me how far I have come in showing another human being respect for his choices.