Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

"The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but I don't find it to be insulting. To find it insulting, you have to read something into it, don't you? Like, you're SUPPOSED to be valuing the lost above all else. But the quote doesn't say that. All of us who love(d) addicts have made tremendous sacrifices in terms of material things, time, resources, energy, and emotional health. And we balanced (as with everything) those sacrifices against the benefit of making them. All of us very appropriately expended time, energy, money, etc., to try to help our addict early on because until we made at least SOME effort, we couldn't be sure how wedded he/she was to the path he/she was on. And most of us went overboard for awhile, then learned the limits of what we could handle.

I don't think it is appropriate or laudable to value one person over someone else. So when it reached the point where we realized that despite our best efforts, our addict insisted on self-destructing, we stepped off the ride because to do otherwise would have been to be destroyed as well. It is not laudable to sacrifice your own life for the sake of the addict, because your life is every bit as valuable as the life of the addict.

I read the quote as suggesting that some sacrifice is appropriate and demonstrates that you value the "lost." I don't read it as suggesting that complete sacrifice - essentially losing your own life for the sake of the "lost" - is the ideal.