Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tjp613

How much have you sacrificed for the sake of your addicted loved one? I can't really put a value on the emotional and physical toll. I will say I am lucky that I found good resources early on that helped me navigate these waters from Day One. Even so, there has definitely been a price to pay in my physical health from all the stress. Financially, we have spent, so far, probably around $40K. The insurance companies have probably spent another $100K.

Are you willing to sacrifice more? I have been struggling with this one. Maybe one more stint in rehab? Our out of pocket would be around $3-5K. The emotional toll when he relapses?.... pretty devastating, but I would 'recover' more quickly than in the past.

Are you willing to sacrifice everything?Absolutely not. I'm 54 years old and my husband is 66. I am not willing to withdraw any equity from our home or retirement funds. To do so would be to put the burden of our care on our other healthy children.. No, I'm not willing to live in poverty in my old age nor am I willing to place that burden on children who have made good choices and lead productive lives.

Do you agree or disagree with the quote above? No, and I am actually offended by it's implication. I "value" my child just as much as someone who chooses to sacrifice "everything" and to imply that I don't is offensive to me.

Has your "sacrifice" helped your loved one find recovery?
No. The best that's come of it is that he's learned that there is a path to recovery and he knows what is required. He could have gotten that education for free.