Thread: new here....
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

DanielPrescott, well met, and welcome to SR. There is a lot of support here for you, and many people who will share with you how they have quit drinking.

I should also add that I am not a religious person and don't have a faith or anything. I'm not saying that to sound like spiritual advice would be a waste of time, but rather I would like to avoid any help which involves a higher being or something.
Daniel, this is an important statement that you have made here, and I think it deserves a great deal of respect. Make no mistake, there is a lot of help that does not involve higher beings. I can suggest that you look at our Secular Connections forum for alternatives to 12 Step recovery.

I want to be able to say 'no thanks i dont drink' without the fear of not having fun.
You can put fears to rest right now. When I was drinking, I thought I needed booze to have fun, to relax, to be sociable. It wasn't until I stopped drinking that I realized how miserable I was, how tense, how antisocial I had been. It had been really giving me nothing, and had just taken everything instead. A giant con game, and boy was I a sucker.

You really can quit drinking, Daniel, honest. People have been doing it since the first days of wine, and that is over 4000 years. You can be one of them, and it can all start now. Accept that you will no longer drink, that there is nothing that can make you drink, and that all the lies you hear in your head about alcohol come from the voice of your addiction, not from you.

There is so much waiting for you, just make that first step. I wish you the best.