Thread: new here....
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

There are approaches that don't entail a spiritual program, Daniel. SMART and AVRT are two popular ones around here. Many people have quit simply relying on SR; that's how I started out, then I began to explore AVRT (it turned out I had been intuitively using Addictive Voice Recognition Techniques already).

We have some active discussions of these approaches on the Secular Connections forums. Well, fairly active, lol... Things quiet down a bit on weekends as folks head out and enjoy their newfound freedom.

Hopefully your friends are getting to an age where they will start to find other things to do than drink—but this really needs to be all about you and what's good for you. After I got solid in my new lifestyle, it was not a problem for me to be around friends who were drinking. But honestly, it was not a lot of fun, either. I discovered that when people get drunk, they're pretty tedious. Laughing hysterically over things that aren't funny, debating the most trivial things. Shocking, I know. I'd rather watch a movie or read a book. Or better yet, have a conversation with a friend who isn't drinking.