View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Lost3000
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

LOL, I would have ran away from AA too if I had that experience Pigtails. I was hypersensitive to the God stuff and wary of it being a cult. I hope me saying this helps you because I want you to know that I too felt like you and have still found my place in AA. I think everyone can find their place there, but it takes willingness, openess and frankly some shopping around.

The part in the book where it talks to agnostics - well, realize it was written in the 30s, and, it doesn't say that you can't get sober without God - anywhere. It does say that alcoholics can't recover without accepting that there is something more powerful than themselves (paraphrasing here), but several times the book says that religion need not be a part of recovery.

I for one do not believe in a divine creator, or a supreme spiritual being. I can admit that something more powerful than myself created the world I live in - and that's about as far as I go. It works for me, and many others I've come across.

I hope you find your way, I think your life will be more content when you can figure this out, AA or not.