View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
backbeat

Congratulations on your 90 days! Awesome! I hope to get there myself.

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Here I am. 90 days sober..3 solid months.

I got to work this morning to find a card and a handmade necklace on my desk from a coworker. Her note said:

“Brittany, congrats on your 90 days! I wanted to take the time to tell you I am rooting for you and so excited for you! Good job!”

I am humbled by the amount of support I’ve gotten in the first 3 months of this journey. All the online support on my recovery board, twitter, facebook, the blogging world, my family, friends, and even coworkers. I’d be totally lost without the support of everyone. A simple “great job!” might not seem significant but it is. I hold every compliment in my heart. To know so many people are rooting for me makes me feel special, like I matter, which I guess is why I drank in the first place. I didn’t feel special, or wanted, so I drank to wash the feelings away. I drank to feel like I had real friends, and people who cared about me. About a month before I got sober, I knew that I needed to stop, or at least slow down, but I was single and alone. I continued to go out and keep the wheels of the cycle of my drinking moving. It was better than staying at home alone.

Then I met a man who changed my life. I met someone who made me want to be a better person, who made me not want to be who was in all my past relationships. I knew that my drinking would get between that. As if I needed a direct sign to quit, my father ended up in the hospital, nearly dead from a drinking binge. I looked at him in the hospital, his legs weak and unsteady. I’ve never seen a man over six feet tall look so feeble and old. I could read the pain and regret on his face so plainly, it was as if someone painted the words on his forehead. This was the day. I could feel it. That was the day I stopped drinking. 90 days ago today.