View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Pigtails)))))

Sounds like the wrong book club to me. I went through that too in early recovery, I had to try 4 different book clubs to find one that I sort of felt a wee bit comfortable in at first. Yep I am book nerd also, rofl, but now I have my Kindle, so my book shelves are only filled with truly 'special' books, lol

They sounded boring to me too. There has to be more than one book club in your area, put out some 'feelers' and see if there are more.

I commend you on getting out of your 'comfort zone', as I do understand how hard that can be.

BTW I too shop thrift stores and resale shops, lol We have one really great shop here, that I have picked up some really lovely pieces from. I picked up a Hutch from her, that I gladly paid $200 for because it was beautiful, and I loved the wood, and it had been very well cared for, and and and, etc

Had it appraised her a while back when I was upgrading my house insurance. It was a good thing I was sitting down when I read the appraisal ......................... $3,500. I choked. Turns out it was hand made by a well known artisan, of Mexican heritage, living here in the U.S. somewhere between 1842 and 1870 when most of his furniture was made. Go figure. I just knew I loved the piece and I loved the 'look' of it, not too ornate, but with some lovely carvings on it.

Also gave me some appraisals on some of the other 'good' quality things I have purchased in the last few years from Thrift Shops and resale shops and they were all incredible too.

I am a firm believe in buying 'used' on many things, especially furniture and vehicles. My goodness you buy those items new and as soon as they are out the door of the store or off the car lot they have depreciated in half.

Sounds to me like you are moving forward in your recovery. Don't give up on finding new outlets, that, like recovery, takes time.

Love and hugs,