View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
HitTheRoadJack

Hi everyone,

It's been a busy couple of days but both me and my Mum have perservered and are still going strong, and getting stronger by the day. I had a bit of a night Sunday - it was a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday, and all my friends were out and my partner went with them. I was having a tough night, it felt very lonely being in by myself and knowing that everyone else was out and it got slightly emotional. But I got a bath, watched some films and finished my book. I had a bad feeling about everyone being out, namely my partner, and before I know it, I get a phonecall and she was on her way to the hospital.
It turns out that some random ******** started on one of my friends and when my partner tried to calm it down, this person, this man in hi mid thirties, struck her to the ground and split her lip. I found it very hard to keep calm and headed to the hospital straight away. Her parents were there, disappointed in me for recent events obviously and my self esteem just fell through the floor. But my partner was very appreciative that I came to the hospital in the middle of the night and I am so glad that I was sober when it happened. She came home with me and we spoke for a bit, and invited me to stay last night. We just sat and talked and it was great, opening up emotionally and rekindling our spark.
It feels like my life is actually turning around, and the events of the weekend are just another reason to hate alcohol that much more. The only thing I had trouble dealing with was the feeling of guilt that I wasn't at the pub with them to protect her. But I can't blame myself - I have to focus on keeping sober. I am doing just that. Things are looking up, but I won't lull myself into a false security. I remain vigilant and cautious and I am going to remember my vow for today and every day after.

I hope everyone is doing well,
Jack