View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ughh

alcoholic mother-in-law living with me

Hi, I just posted this on the newcomers page also before I found this, so I'm sorry if you see it twice. I thought this might be a better place to post.

My mother-in-law has been an alcoholic for many years, and has been in and out of rehab several times. Right now, she has been living with my husband and me for about a year (we just got married a couple months ago) and we can't take it anymore, and I'm afraid the stress is going to hurt our new marriage. She got out of a 40 day rehab program yesterday, and was drunk within 6 hours of being back. She denied it, as she always does, and went to bed.

We need to force her out of our house, I know that, and I am coming to terms with it as of today. I feel amazingly guilty because I don't know where she will go, and I know as soon as we bring it up she will flip out and blame my husband and I for everything. I know that the only thing I can control is whether or not I am near her/talking to her, but I am totally scared of the actual event of kicking her out (and I'm pretty sure it will end in us calling the police to remove her).

I am sure that somewhere deep down, she feels horrible about the pain she has caused her family, but I still know that she will blame me and my husband for making her "homeless" and we will have to suffer the wrath of her drunken outbursts--although maybe only over the phone?

I just don't know how to face the facts that my husband and I have to be the ones to officially cause a huge rift in the family (even though she herself has actually caused it, and most of her family is on my side anyway), and I don't know how to actually start that conversation/argument with her. I just feel guilty.

Thanks for listening.