View Single Post
Old 10-21-2002, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Nici

You are not alone and there is hope. Welcome to a wonderful site where you are welcome to share and learn a little recovery for yourself.

Normally, I would say there is nothing you can do for your dad unless he want to help himself, but since he has asked for help, I am going to make a few suggestions.

First, frind a good detox for him. They will help him ease his way down. Alcoholics can go into seizures from withdrawl, and detox is best done with proper medical care available.

Then look up Acloholics Anonymous in your phone book and find out where the meetings are. There are several meetings everyday in Detroit, and I am sure there will be some in your area.
Then, when your dad is stabilized, go to a meeting with him. There are "open" meetings where family and friends are welcome.
This is where he should make his own contacts, get some phone numbers and eventually get a sponsor.

Also, while you have the phone book out, look up Al-Anon and find a meeting for yourself. This is a wonderful fellowship of people who have all been where you are and who will welcome you with open arms. The 12-step program can save lives - I know because it saved mine.

If you need help with meetings in Detroit, let me know, and I can get you some. I am quite familiar with Detroit. Some of the most wonderful people I have ever met are in AA and NA in Detroit.

If your dad changes his mind, recognize that you can't do anything for him until he is willing to do something for himself. But still find the meetings for yourself. I promise it will be a gift you give yourself to do this.

Don't lose heart. There is always hope and a brighter tomorrow, and you can find peace by working this program.

My prayers are with you and your father.