Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Deuce

It's been several weeks since I've been here. "The Kid" as I fondly call him is doing really well.

He has started up his college classes again, and is paying for all of his tuition, books, etc. himself.
He was able to sell his motorcycle, and looks like that covered everything. He talked to his academic advisor to help him get back on track; he basically lost 2 semesters after his father died and he got involved with the drug lifestyle. He decided to take a full course load; and seems very excited and dedicated to continuing his studies.

His mom is over the moon happy !

He is still living with me and my husband. We offered for him to stay at least through this first semester back as he seems to be very stable here & will be going through a lot of adjustment with adapting to college life again.

Also, he has switched over to part time, but he is still working at the company my husband hooked him up with. They have been really good to him; letting him float and learn different aspects of the business this summer, and have now let him settle into the purchasing department for his part time work. It has been very good for building his self esteem and confidence.

None of this would have been possible if he had not made such positive changes in his life. He is no longer using drugs ! He is no longer drinking ! He has a complete new set of friends (many are from church; he is attending regularly). His attitude about his future has changed and he is actually excited about so many things now.

My husband; who as I stated before was a recreational cocaine user many years ago; believes that since getting off the drugs and booze - the depression is finally starting to lift for him & his true self is surfacing again. It's been a really great thing to witness.

"Our College Man" is still having regular weekly therapy sessions, and the doctor was able to get him to attend a one day seminar for teens and young adults on coping with the loss of a parent. I think during this he was able maybe for the first time to talk about the loss of his dad around people of his own age, and they could relate. He said afterward that it made him feel less alone; and not crazy for his feelings and actions since his dad died.

I so wish his mother would do something like this; she is still in so much pain over the loss of her husband.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update. He is going to face many challenges in the next few months as the pressures of college exams, work, and the anniversary of his fathers death come around.

Please continue to keep him in your prayers