Thread: Feel very codie
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FenwayFaithful

If love, support, effort and any other attempt from us could make an addict stop using there would be no addicts...

There isn't anything we can do for the people we love.

They have to do it themselves.

And sadly, a lot of times that takes losing everything.

All we do is enable them, make it more likely they they'll use. My EXABF who is now in jail told me that part of how he validated using was that he wasn't losing everything doing it. He still had his apartment, his job and me.

Now that he's lost all of that, lost EVERYTHING from drugs...AGAIN, and sees his future disappearing and has hit a new rock bottom he's realized he can't ever control it, that it won't ever be different. That he can't have happiness and be using at the same time...

I don't know if it will be any different. All I know is that there was NO CHANCE of his life life changing if he didn't lose everything.

I am still communicating with him because of the guilt. I feel like I "owe" him.

But I know I don't. Just like deep down you know you don't owe your sister anything. She's the one who used, lied and caused this to happen. Your support obviously wasn't going to make her stop. It's something she needs to decide on her own.

You need to focus on yourself, your happiness because that you can control. Her you can't.

It's normal to feel guilty but you need to remind yourself that you have nothing to feel guilty of.