View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

very annoying, very frustrating.

I started by using something I learned early on in recovery. To acknowledge that other people have issues (and even addictions...sometimes of personality) like I do. Then, I can choose to either let it go, say a prayer for them, silently wish them well, whatever approach is authentic for me.

Then I learned that the best way for me to handle it was with integrity, and honoring myself. No matter what, I was going to be who I truly am. Not letting them and their choices determine MY behavior. Choosing how I was going to act, rather than reacting to them. Boy oh boy, I found out I have a lot of knee jerk compulsive behaviors!

I'm no saint, nor zen master. I get plenty worked up, hurt, and angry at the behaviors of others, but applying the above practices help ME. They don't do a darn thing about the behavior of the other person, but they move me forward, and insure that at the end of the day I haven't disrespected who I am.

Blowhards are gonna blow? Am I going to use their wind to turn my windmill, or am I going to let them blow me over like some personality hurricane.

It totally sucks when they are in a position of authority, or when it's clear they are trying to get me riled up. But in those situations it's been even more critical for me to be true to ME.