Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'd highlllly recommend you post AA questions down in the AA "room" - 12-Step Recovery. There you'll get advice from ppl who've successfully worked the program and have positive experience to share with AA. Specifics like what to do in the program, sponsorship questions, step questions, etc......they're probably best answered by ppl who've done all the work and can tell you what pitfalls to avoid to successfully get through them for yourself.

As for your sponsor, she can't transmit what she doesn't have. Good of her to be cognizant of that and to be honest about it. Is it possible her opinion is correct? I know I've had plenty of diagnosed this and diagnosed that....got some pretty cool meds as a result too. To ask my Doctors......they'd tell you I was doing fabulously too and that I absoooolutely needed those meds. Deep down though, I didn't know if I needed them so much as I just wanted them.

Anyway, what you do re. meds is your business. It's not my call. If I'm your sponsor though and you're doing something I have no or negative experience with, it's important that I share that with you and/or possibly not sponsor you. I've got guys on meds........all I can share with them is the direction of the AA program and my experience. You may or may not LIKE my experience but that's on you, yanno? Just because something is my experience, that doesn't make it fact.....not for everyone and not every time.

On a final note......perhaps your sponsor was someone you identified with at meetings and thought was a great person. Fair enough. Is it also possible though, that they aren't really an AA participant but an AA observer......an audience member? Someone's who's recovered as a result of working/applying the steps knows that their own recovery is largely contingent upon helping other ppl through the same work. If you picked a sponsor who stays sober buy their will power, making up their mind (choosing/deciding) to not drink, and attending meetings......then that's all they can convey to you. Just understand.....what I just described is not AA.....

If this is the case.......and will/choosing/and meetings isn't working for you any better than it worked for ppl like me.......then it's time to have a serious conversation with your sponsor and maybe even look for another.