Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Admiral

It sounds like you want to be sober but feel guilty due to mixed messages from your doctor and sponsor.

The ONE thing I think you should remember right now is only YOU can say if you are an addict or not. Do you feel that you are using the medication as a crutch? There are a lot of people who legitimately use prescription drugs, I suppose you could say that all of them are using those drugs as a crutch, it depends on how you look at it and that's what's important to see here, this is not a fact it is a matter of opinion.

You know your patterns of use, you know the addictive voice, look at this situation and decide for yourself if taking these drugs is a problem. I don't know that the steps are the most important thing for you right now. In my opinion going to meetings and being with other sober people is the most important thing you can do, and if your sponsor doesn't want to take you past step two, maybe that's okay right now. The steps are something to feel proud of but they are definitely not the only measure of progress.