View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

For quite awhile I felt that sobriety was just as awful as active addiction. I stopped drinking and using...now what?

I was heavily involved in NA during early recovery, and it certainly got me into the idea, atmosphere, and community of recovery and that is a huge thing. It got me started in the right direction to rebuild my life.

I also needed intervention for bi-polar and anxiety (not just meds). I also needed guidance in building a spiritual foundation and practice that I can truly get into.

I needed huge amounts of honesty, willingness and openmindedness and I needed hope, boatloads and boatloads of hope.

sobriety doesn't equal happiness, but it give me an honest shot at it.

I've done the relapse thing a few times, for sure drinking and using is worse than sobriety, can't fool myself over that ever ever again.

Addiction, for me, is a hell that keeps on giving. Sobriety may not be a daily cake walk, but it's certainly no worse than active addiction, and it is free of so many of the problems of active addiction.

When things get rough and I have to decide how to handle them, well, I KNOW what drinking and using result in, so now, I try something different and I get to see what happens.