View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
blueshades

Welcome to SR, RidingHood!

I think Day Four is a big deal. Once you get past the early cravings it becomes easier and easier to withstand the physical dependence that we have developed for drink. Stick with this, as it will only keep getting better.

My story is not all that different than yours. I could go days without taking a drink, but when I did drink it was all too often to excess. One of the main reasons I decided to quit was the guilt associated from hiding my habit from people. The anxiety associated with not knowing exactly what I said or did during my binge became too great. In the end, I decided that these anxieties were simply not worth the price of a temporary high and escape from reality.

Today marks four weeks of sobriety for me. I've been surprised at how much insight I've been able to gain into my drinking issues, not to mention some other personal matters, during that short time. I have not decided to follow a particular program yet, but I've been reading and sharing here on SR daily since I quit and am looking into other self-care avenues such as meditation to alleviate stress.

I hope you'll stick with your plan to stop drinking. You'll gain a lot from it, and you may be surprised at how quickly those anxieties associated with hiding your habit will melt away. As for your friends, church associates, etc., it's entirely up to you who you "let in" on your struggles with drinking. I have decided to keep that away from work associates and others who are not legitimately considered "friends." It's okay to be mindful about who you share this with. So long as you're not binging all by your lonesome, you're not living a lie. That anxiety and guilt will start to improve as you begin living a more centered life.

Stick with us here on SR. I wish you all the best.