View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by Spes View Post
Thanks Tuffgirl, I needed that today. Every once in a while I find myself wondering how my life would have been had I not made my choices many years ago that has brought me to where I am today. Then the next thought is what I can do, or should do, to be able to undo those choices in order to walk a different path. It really is a case of innocence lost.

But Tuffgirl, you are exactly right because I can't change the past and your last line is precisely what I can do, and I should do, for myself today: And in all honesty, I don't regret my life experiences so far; they have made me a better person in spite of it all

Sometimes that is all I need to feel "normal" again.....a different perspective from another who shares the same path. Thank you for helping me.
Hey thank you Spes. Ya know, I have spent a lot of time with people at the end of their lives, and none of them talked about what they did wrong. They talked about how they loved and were loved. They talked about past mistakes with fondness because those very mistakes always led to something bigger and better. Our mistakes are who we are, and we can embrace them or let them shame us. It is so easy to allow that shame to sneak in (my biggest gremlin) and I simply refuse to allow that to happen.

I don't know about you all here, but I loved my ex husband with all my heart. Isn't that in itself perfection? Isn't that "normal"? Shouldn't that be something I am proud of, even though the relationship itself didn't work out? I loved. Completely. And that's pretty damn brave.

I look forward to feeling that way again. Someday.