View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by Jur123 View Post
I have 2 sisters who deny that our family was any different from others. One of the sister's has severe social phobia, HUGE control issues and other stuff. The other suffered from severe body dismorphia, agoraphobia (did not leave a house for roughly 3 years) and loads of other psichological problems (was in and out of psych hospitals for a few years in her late teen - early 20s until I took her from our mother by advise of psychiatrist and spent loads of energy and money on psychologists, etc. She is fine now btw). I have loads of psychological stuff going on too. I'm not sure if they deny it on purpose or don't remember. This makes me so angry. Nobody is validating what was going on and sometimes I start to think maybe I'm insane imagening things. Sorry for venting.
My sister has this totally rose-colored, Norman Rockwell idea of what our childhood was supposedly like. It's completely out of touch with reality -- never mind the fact that she and my Dad fought so much, when she was a teenager, that she left home and rented a room before she had even finished high school. Really, I had forgotten how bad it was, until I ran across a diary my Mom had kept for awhile during that period -- she describes the daily knock-down-drag-out fights my sister and Dad had, over every conceivable thing -- and over nothing, e.g., if she put the newspaper down in the wrong place, he'd fly off the handle and scream at her.

My solution: Don't call her, and have as little contact as possible. I've sent her Al-Anon and ACoA books, but she doesn't get it. She may, at some point, but until then, my boundary is up!

T