View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

what i've come to learn is that sobriety isn't about not drinking. sobriety is about learning to live without drinking. it sounds like you're not learning how to live. have you tried meditation? exercise? are you doing things you enjoy sober you are you just plodding along not drinking for the sake of not drinking? Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome can last up to a year and includes that mental fog you're describing. it's normal. it does get better at different rates for different people. what's key right now is to be accepting of where you are right now in your recovery and keep moving forward. reading has seemed to help me a lot with my focus. play around with a few mental puzzles too. work out your brain. you can't expect your brain to just jump right back into full function after it's been under such stress for so long. just don't rush recovery. we all have our own timeline. don't glorify your drinking. you were not more mentally or physically capable when you were drinking. you may think you were but it was false and not lasting. glorifying your drinking days, even in that small way, is a big warning sign. beware of it and rearrange your thinking. we want to see you on the sober side of life!