View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

I think I did what you're doing for a long time Gforce. In fact when I really started wanting to quit I think my drinking got worse, if not only because I thought that every time I drank was absolutely the last time I would ever drink, ever. So I'd usually make it a good one. Then I'd do things like go out more (my really bad drinking happened when I was alone) and made sure I kept busy. My drinking still got worse, because I had less time to do it in and, despite all the crazy anxiety it caused, I still thought I needed it.

If AA is not working for you right now have you considered looking into AVRT or SMART. Maybe it would help to come at it from a different angle.

Regarding feeling comfortable in a new sober life... I think that is a work in progress that doesn't happen overnight. I am still periodically terrified over being alive and sober, but that feeling usually passes and I just keep working on it. Someone posted on here that sobriety is progressive, I liked that. Things won't be perfect right away but with a little effort they will get better x