Thread: Insomnia
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tryinagain
Hopefully Healing Up

Yep!!!!

My doctor put me on meds to treat the underlying problems of my 20+ years of alcohol abuse. Slept like a baby for about the first month. One day, I missed my pills and not wanting to mess up the schedule I decided to just continue as normal the following day. Guess what...symptoms just like alc withdrawal. I weened myself off the pills as well and I may only get an hour or two of sleep a night but I am no longer on medication or alcohol so at least it is honest sleep. Warm milk, vitamins, exercise, reading, writing lists of things to be thankful for to calm my worries, you name it, I will try it as long as it is not a drug. I got about 5 hours sleep last night and feel great. Keep trying until you find something that works for you but I would stay away from the drugs...that is just my opinion.
Best Wishes,
Roy

PS..Since I had plenty of time on my hands due to not sleeping, I have found out that you can help yourself in many ways by modifying your diet. Bananas contain potassium which aids in muscle pain and paranoia, certain poultry contain natural sleep aids, etc. Red meat (although necessary for the iron to produce red blood cells) in excess can hinder the sleep pattern...just do a couple of ***** or google searches on nutrition and whatnot and try it out, some is just hot air but others work very well. Sure beats taking a prescribed mixture that has things most cannot pronounce much less have a clue of where it came from or is made of.

Last edited by tryinagain; 10-22-2004 at 11:18 AM. Reason: forgot to add something