View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MrsKing

Hi pyjamarama.

I think it's natural to feel what you are feeling. Going from spending much time drunk and feeling like the most sociable being on the planet to being sober and not quite sure what to do with ourselves is a transition that everyone has to make. You're not yet used to your new life. Alcohol causes major ups and downs, it makes people chat freely and intensely, it makes people feel that 'connection', and we're bound to feel like we miss that at the beginning... what we don't remember is that it destroyed so much, too. When I first got sober I felt like I'd given up everything 'fun' in my life - my friends, my hobby, my favourite places... etc, but it doesn't have to be like that, at all. What I actually did was give up all the negativity alcohol caused - arguments, depression, embarrassment, shame, guilt... and when I'd come to terms with the fact that I could keep all the positives that alcohol seemed to cause, but just do them sober, I couldn't believe I hadn't given it up sooner.

Whether your life is better without alcohol is only something that you know yourself. But just one thing: go back to the day you gave up alcohol. Try to feel all that you felt and remember all the reasons why you gave it up, what it was doing to you. Are you better off now than you were in that moment?