View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Hi again pyjamarama

I think this is different for everyone... I know for me I still considered 40 days as hangover recovery. I felt sick and my emotions were all over the place. I certainly wouldn't have been going to any pubs! I would have just sat there feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't drink while at the same time really not wanting to.

I think remembering why you quit in the first place really can help. And some kind of support is vital really, whether you get that from posting more on here or going to AA/SMART or getting some counselling... Or even from just reading a book like Rational Recovery or Allen Carr's Easy way to stop drinking.

I don't thing stopping drinking magically solves all of our problems. I think that it sometimes requires us to put a bit of effort in. I know that I have been trapped in some bad ways of thinking which make drinking seem like the only viable option as a coping strategy. It's not, but I need to work on the other methods before I can just hang out with other drinkers and expect myself to be happy about it.