Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by keepingmyjoy1 View Post
This time, after all that happened earlier in the week with me calling 911 etc, he has quit drinking-for real. His going to AA meetings every day. He is acknowledging that the mess of our lives is entirely his fault, he is apologetic, kind, etc.

The hard part is that I don't know this sober, humble person that well...
Based on his past history, I would suggest that his current behavior, including the apologies, are a mere attempt to emotionally manipulate you.

A few meetings, even on a daily basis, does not equate to sobriety.

As a recovering alcoholic/addict of 22 years, I can tell you it took a long time into my own recovery to become truly humble, and it took even longer to make amends to my family because my shame and guilt was still so strong that I wasn't capable yet. They were raw, and so was I early on.

Abstinence is a far cry from sober. Sober is a state of mind. My disease is threefold-physical, emotional, and spiritual. Until I addressed all three areas, I was just abstaining, which was a good start, but not even close to the complete solution.

Sending you hugs of support because I know how painful and sad that separating and/or divorce is. I had to leave my EXAH for my own well-being.