Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
MeredithD1
Present

I have read more on Rational Recovery, and my AH called Mr. Trimpey yesterday and had a good conversation with him, then went and drank again this morning on his way home from an overnight job. He already missed out on about $400 by showing up with alcohol on his breath in a job last week. He swore up and down that he knew he had to stop and would. Since the agency that put him in the job didn't seem to care much that their client, the employer, had taken him from the job, it seems he has decided it wasn't any big deal worth quitting for. Even after talking to Mr. Trimpey yesterday.

So I told him before that if he drank and drove my car (I brought it into the relationship and it is our only car - I put him on the title when we moved here in 2000) one more time I was going to put the title back in my name. So this morning I told him he had his chance and more than one chance, and now I was putting the title back in my name only. This is in accordance with the Rational Recovery book's chapter on families and suggested actions. we have to act on what we say we will do.

My inlaws, who live about an hour south of us, want us to come down to talk tomorrow. They think he should go into residential treatment. My take on that is, he only pretends at AA and the like to placate us and residential treatment would be no different. He really likes what was written about dragging someone to a treatment facility so I know he won't go for it.

I'll be emailing my inlaws some info from the rational recovery site.

this page is the one I will send first.

Thank you for listening. If you have ideas of what we can say or do tomorrow that I haven't read yet in Rational Recovery, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Morning Glory; 08-24-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: removed link