View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
24hrsatatime

mammato3, I too have never experienced the high from suboxne and don't understand it either. I can tell you that in theory getting high from it should be impossible, as it is formulated only to block the receptors, not fully activate them, and it also has a ceiling effect that prevents it from creating more receptors. That's a scientific, medical discussion so I won't go any farther with it. I've heard several people say that as dragon put it sub made them higher than bat sh!t, but I don't understand it. I don't doubt they feel that way, it could be that I define high differently, I don't know.

What I do know, is that for me suboxone stopped my physical withdrawals and not much else. I've spent a lot of time working on the other part of my addiction...the mental stuff. I'm tapering off of sub now and while I've had people tell me that I will feel differently when I'm off I doubt it. I'm not saying that dragon or anyone here did this, but from what I've seen most people who claim sub made them high were abusing it in some way like combining it with meds like benzo's that cause drowsiness or drinking with it or something like that. I've seen people shoot it, but what I saw looked like physical withdrawals, and like I said they may have felt they were "high", but that certainly didn't fit into my idea of "high".

I wish that people would stop abusing sub and that it was only available to people who are trying to change their lives, but I also wish for world peace...probably not gonna happen. Until it does, all I can do is work at my recovery and not worry about the people who are misusing or abusing suboxone. I also can't let the stigma that these people give the treatment make me feel like my recovery is somehow less than someone who has chosen to abstain from all drugs. Recovery, like addiction, is a very individual thing and the best you can do is try your best to stay away from people who are abusing it and who are against it. Try to surround yourself with people who share your experience and who want to help you in your recovery and the rest will work itself our. Or that's my experience anyway. Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers