Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dragonfire613
Resident Alien

Hey there Chris and welcome to SR! Glad you made it here. My own story is similar, as you may have read. I had a new, awesome wife & family support when I first got into the clinic (luckily she still married me after all the crap I put us through)... it saved the things in my life that were more important to me than my fix, which I'm sure I would have found a way to destroy if I hadn't started putting my life together at that point in time.

My own opinion of subs may waffle depending on the time of day and the particular topic at hand, but like you, I am certain I would not be here without it. I held onto it for 4 years out of fear of being (completely) sober, but Sunday (8/19) will make 1 month since I kicked from 1mg/day, and I'm doing quite well now walking without my crutch.

Its great you have been able to taper to .5mg/day or less... something I was never able to do (1mg seemed to be my psychological barrier... no problems tapering down to that point, but I couldn't get any lower hard as I tried I would always give in).

Anyway, there is another guy here, Ollie, who is down to crumbs and going days between doses, and doing quite well... he'll probably drop in at some point to say hi.

There are several others in our merry little band who are also at similar points in their recovery. You will find lots of great support here.

If you haven't found it already, my blog here on this site chronicles my experience through the final detox, and may give you an idea of what to expect when you do the final kick (hopefully your experience will be milder than mine since you are already on half the dose I was when I jumped... but in retrospect now it doesn't seem as awful as it seemed to me in the moment).

PM or post in this forum anytime... I am usually trolling around and fairly quick to respond.

Welcome again and best wishes on your journey!