View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
OneLessLonely

I went to a wedding at 5 weeks. Had a quick pep talk with myself right before the reception and went straight in and ordered a coke... Looks like it could be a mixed drink. Once I ordered that first one, I told myself the bartender already knows I'm not drinking booze and it was easier to order the next ones. Kept one with me at all times. Wouldn't let anyone catch me with an empty one so I could always decline offers of drinks from people. The champagne toast I just held it up longer than everyone else so that when I put it back down on the table everyone else was drinking it and therefore didn't notice I hadn't drunken mine. Always talk about how pretty the bride is and how nice the venue is. Keep the focus off yourself. Keep paying attention to the bride and groom (their dance, cake cutting take a ton of pictures so you always have a camera in your hand and are busy), I left soon after the lights went down and the dancing started because that is a trigger for me. I have been to three weddings in three months of sobriety and outside of the few close people I told I was on a health/weight loss kick and taking a break from drinking, one person, whom I didn't even know, said something. Like I said I didn't even know them so I just told them I wasn't drinking that night. You can use driving as an excuse or recent illness or weight loss or health or that you have a lot to do early the next morning if someone has the audacity to press you further. It is your one life to do as you please and no one has the right to question you. I also felt really nervous about other peoples reactions to me not drinking and people barely noticed! Now thy I have some time under my belt, I realize people barely care and if they do they have the problem and I really don't need to explain anything to anyone. Know your limits and leave if you need to. I had been putting off sobriety until the end of this summer for multiple reasons, these three weddings being some of them but I am so glad I stopped putting it off and quit earlier. There's always gonna be an excuse. And nothing is worth the risk. No wedding no sporting event no BBQ nothing is worth me going further down the spiral of alcoholism. I wish you the best of luck and let us know how it goes!