View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Beetle53

Just stumbled upon this. I agree with everyone that you do need to focus on you and put yourself first. I can REALLY relate to what you're saying about the family issues. One thing I'd like to point out- It sounds to me like your family as a WHOLE has a very dysfunctional dynamic. It's unfortunate that you flexed beer muscles at them, rather than finding the strength to explore these issues while sober. But it happened, so here we are!

I was damaged by what my family did to me growing up (and as an adult), and you know what?? They THRIVED on me being the f**k up. They wouldn't listen to me, they blew my feelings off, they bullied me- and they BONDED over having a mutual "cause", which was me. It's really sick if you think about it. Honestly! They got something "good" out of me staying messed up.. so that's exactly what they were reinforcing. And I played my role- as always, because that's how it's always been. That's dysfunctional. It's dysfunctional for parents to play their kids against eachother.. It's sick! But, I can't change them. I can only change me. So I decided what I would and would not participate in when it comes to them. I took control and accountability for my own life (mistakes and all) and didn't allow them the space to be judgemental or drag me down. If they want to be positive and loving- great! Otherwise, I'm out. That being said... you can't drunken dial someone and unload YEARS of frustration and hurt. ;-) HOWEVER, yes you were drunk- but did those feelings that you unloaded come from the bottle?? I don't think they did... I think you're keeping a tight lid on your stuff and when you got drunk, the pot boiled over. You're the only one that can really deal with that stuff because you're the only person that you can change. AA says (and I'm not an aa'r) "Take what you like, and leave the rest". I think that works out really well in relationships... Especially ones that you can't get away from. You only get one family and unfortunately, you don't get to pick who they are! Which is a total BUMMER. LOL

You should apologize for unloading on them like that, it wasn't fair. But at the same time, it doesn't mean you have to apologize for how you really feel about those relationships. Kinda seems like your intentions were in the right place, but came out of the wrong hole- so to speak. Do some therapy maybe!! Get your head around those issues and don't stuff it down. Carrying that stuff around is absolutely destructive to your whole being. "This too shall pass". Hang in there!! <3 <3 <3