View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
departure

I have been on the giving and receiving end of drunken rant phone calls. My advice is this: apologize. You sound as if you are truly sorry, so let them know. If they won't answer your call, maybe you could send a card, email, text, or whatever you think is appropriate. It is then up to them to forgive. That is all you can do. You can make promises for the future, but they may need time and/or proof to rebuild the relationship.

It wasn't all that long ago that my sister went off on me when she was drunk and called me up. The phone call started off normal but then it was like a switch got flipped - a real Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde moment. The things she said were mean, unfounded, and so upsetting. I forgave her (I know what she's going through, been there - done that); but, I never answer her calls after a certain time of night anymore because I know what state she will be in.

With regard to your parents situation, I agree with some of the others. If it's not your business, I would keep it that way and stay out of it. If you are having trouble dealing with the divorce and resulting/ongoing family dysfunction, perhaps you might consider seeing a therapist or counselor about it.

I wish you the best! Stay strong and stay sober!