View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FredG

I happened to be walking by a church one day and overheard the preacher talking about 'Higher Powers'. He said that "your Higher Power can be whatever you turn to for guidance at any point in time".

At the time, I didn't pay much attention, but later it suddenly dawned on me that towards the end of my drinking career I was using alcohol as my higher power. I'd turn to it for everything. When I felt good - I drank. When I felt bad - I drank. When I suceeded at something - I drank. When I failed - I drank. When mad - I drank. Absolutely everything - I drank. Alcohol had become my God. I wouldn't say it defined who I was, but it sure as heck helped.

FYI - I've switched Higher Powers, but ultimatly it's myself who decides which path to follow. I make use of lots of guidance, most of it from God as I chose to understand Him, but whether I chose to take that guidance is my decision. I decide who I'm going to be. Not some exterior motivation, whether that be my past, alcohol, what the world thinks I should be. Me

Alcoholism is a disease. Defined as such by medical associations world wide, including the American Medical Association. How you battle that disease, is totally up to you but why would you let a disease define who you are?

You are who you chose to be. You are who you mold yourself into. There's lots of help and guidance but it's you who chose your path.