Thread: My own recovery
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ZiggyB

Originally Posted by Larnie View Post
Thank you! And I told him "no, I do not want to go to a movie".

It is a weird place to be in - if he truly wants to stop drinking, I want him to know that I support that. I don't believe he will though and I know that I can't make him stop, nor can I control anything else. I do believe he is hurting, but I also know that I have hurt much more and I am surviving. I think I'm feeling a little survivors guilt...I became involved with a group when I stopped drinking several months ago and while I'm far from being ok, I'm so much more educated and I have a peace even now that I'm afraid he will never have. Which is heartbreaking. But...the thing I really "get" now is that we are all responsible for our choices. If he chooses not to get help, then that is his choice and not my responsibility. So flipping hard to even say when I've been a raving co-dependent for so long! Ah...my issues. Those are more than enough to take up my time without trying to fix his life too.
I do think you need to tell him to get into a treatment program or a group if he wants to hang out with you. My ex said he would quit drinking on his own but that never lasted for more than a week before he would find some excuse to blow it. They will keep making the same dumb mistakes and keep coming back as long as we allow it. You don't need to feel guilty, help is out there if he wants it, he just doesn't want it!