View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
fireproofing

I am very new here and so on issues of alcoholism I am relatively naive...but I do know something about dogs...I am an owner and I have many people in my life who are trainers, breeders, vets...I live in a pretty doggy world

They are extremely sensitive to emotional, relationship issues in their homes but like humans will react individually. They are pack animals so I suspect that if the "leader" in the home is the one who is struggling with alcoholism then dependent on how their behaviors change when drinking the dog with react some level of anxiety or behavior change. Depending on the breed some dogs actually have the understandding and mental functioning of a toddler - preschooler...think about how this would translate to a human child and then back to your canine child.

My dog in the last few years went through some major changes in our home. We divorced and my ex moved out and now rarely sees our pup (he was the pack leader in my dogs eyes). I went through a period of deep depression where I was disengaged also. My dog became very anxious, protective and on high alert (protecting me and my children), for the first time in his life became fearful of loud noises/thunder/rain, lost weight and generally appeared depressed, exhausted and unhappy and had some physical health issue such as ear infection that were difficult to resolve. I always tell folks that of my 3 children my canine child is having the most difficulty adjusting to the divorce.

A friend recommended a canine Reiki therapist... a dog whisperer. She has been working with him now for about 3 months and we are seeing positive results. She communicates with him on a level that is astounding and gives him energy therapy to ease his tensions, rechannel his energy and concurrent to that we are changing our behaviors and training methods to match the new environment in our home.

I know, it might sound a bit kooky, new agey to some...but he's a member of this family.