Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SeekSobriety

Thanks gang for the kind words and encouragement.

Scarlet, I read your post and wanted to comment:

Originally Posted by scarletbegonia View Post
........................I feel depressed and angry and anxious quite often. I try to tell myself that FEELINGS ARENT FACTS. They are just feelings. They go away and they change. Feeling good in sobriety for me is getting harder and harder and thats not how I pictured it being. I had so many problems when I was using that when I made the decision to get sober, I thought they would all go away.
No one told me they got worse. All the feelings I've been surpressing for years are coming to the surface and I don't know how to deal with them. But they are not permanent. This too shall pass.
For me it was crucial to get into talk therapy and a form of Cognitive Behavioral therapy to deal with the underlying issues that I was attempting to mask with Drugs and alcohol. Anxiety and depression are/were serious issues for me, unfortunately the world does not yet see it that way. It is very hard and expensive to find and receive assistance with these issues.

I would highly recommend anyone suffering from depression, anxiety or anything of the sort to try calling a local state or accredited university with a Psychology department, ask to speak to the Dean of the program and and ask for resources for low or no cost therapy, specifically in dealing with addiction, depression or anxiety. There are options out there but they are hard to find sometimes.

Other things that helped me besides Talk therapy, CBT, 12 step meetings,
Brisk exercise, Staying hydrated and eating a balanced diet, Quitting smoking and cutting down caffeine intake (both substances cause/caused anxiety for me)
Volunteering (Helping others),
Visiting with the elderly, doing things for others helped/helps me stay out of my own head and made me feel better while helping another at the same time (Win, win situation in my opinion)

Thanks for letting me share,
have a wonderful day.