View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jeni26

Time to take stock

Ok, I'm working REALLY hard at this staying sober business.
I'm on SR almost continually, reading and posting, learning and supporting others. I'm going to AA 3 evenings a week. I'm meeting my sponsor once a week to go through the steps. I'm keeping a gratitude list. I'm focusing on events from my past which have significantly affected me, writing them down, self-analysing and reaching out for support. I'm allowing myself to experience feelings of guilt, anger, regret, overwhelming sadness etc that I've numbed for the past 30 years. I'm strengthening family relationships and building new sober friendships. I am absolutely determined NEVER to relapse again.
And I guess it's working, 11 weeks today since I took that dreadful last drink.
But just for today I want to take a day off.
This is hard work. I need to stop and take stock and ENJOY what I have around me.
The emotional merry-go-round is waiting for me, but I've stepped off. Just for today.
I mustn't forget in the efforts to stay sober that I must also take time to reflect on my life here and now. And it's pretty bloody good actually.
I'm doing ok.
I hardly ever think of drinking any more. I am surrounded by people who really love me. I can feel emotion and be truly thankful for what I have.
So, just for today, I'm going to stop and really open my eyes to what my sober life is bringing me.
I'm so very lucky xxx