Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JrsJourney

If he is taking out the money using an ATM card you can call the bank tomorrow first thing and lower the amount that can be withdrawn within a 24 hour period. Make sure this pertains to ALL ATM cards linked to that account.

He can always go to a local branch to withdraw money (more than the ATM limit) so I would suggest opening a bank account in your name only and put money in that account to pay the household bills.

I'm new to Alanon so I am not sure if this is the way to do things within the program but realistically you HAVE to take care of yourself first.

If he later asks what the deal is I would just say you are budgeting and decided to set up an account specifically to pay household bills and a bill pay account to track where all the money is going...or whatever pertains to your situation.

I have experienced this multiple times. It feels HORRIBLE and I am sorry this is happening to you. I'm assuming where you live now the banks are all closed?

I ended up having to sit my recovering Alcoholic husband down one day and tell him I was taking over all the bills and all the money and if he didn't like it then get a divorce attny. He has given me complete control of the account and I pay all the bills. He has 2 credit cards with $500 limits. One is for his work and the other is for personal stuff and emergencies. Any other money (that is added by direct deposit from his office) is my job now.

Might sound harsh but it actually works for us and he is thrilled we finally have some sort of savings starting to add up!