View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
wheresthefun

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
meh, I am deeply and seriously skeptical of all statistical studies of alcoholism and it's treatment. I've never been given a questionnaire at an AA meeting, and I am not sure if I would complete it... No one I know has been given a questionnaire...

Just some of the problems with statistical studies...

What is an alcoholic? Yea, there are plenty of different definitions, and that's the problem, no one can really seem to agree...

What constitutes successful treatment? Total abstinence? Reverting back to normal drinking? Drinking less? One slip, or more?

Who do we study? Those who self report? Those referred from the criminal justice system? Those referred from rehab? From employers?

I don't think any treatment has any greater success than another, and no formal treatment may do better than all the others!

AA works for some, AVRT works for some, Consequences work for some, Drugs for others... Counselling... Whatever.

If the treatment works for you, awesome.
Thanks Mark, that's all I was ever alluding to.

I just have a hard time sitting back whenever I read something being said as a fact, with no serious data to support it. And, as Mark states, good luck finding any serious data pertaining to said topic at hand. I guess I shouldn't have worded my original post here in such a smarmy manner, and for that I apologize.