View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
f1ngers

Hi guys. I just had to join to say a massive thank you to this forum and to the members in this thread for helping me get off the oxy's.

I went over the handlebars on my dirtbike over a jump at about 80km/h and landed on my shoulder tearing ligaments etc. Being 40yo you just don't bounce off the ground like a teenager does.

There was a 6-12month wait for an operation and the Dr prescribed me Endone (oxycodone) at first 20mg a day. After my tolerance built up it was increased to 40mg a day. After a few months I found myself taking more and missing doses just so I could get the high and still stretch out the expected prescription levels.

Then I think from memory I was switched to 20mg oxycontin twice a day and top ups of oxycodone. I found myself chewing the oxycontin at times and was all spiralling out of control.

All this time my shoulder was getting better which wasn't expected and I told the Dr I wanted to come off the Oxy's and so we worked on a tapering off program. As you all appear to know already that just doesn't work. It's just too easy to reach for that extra oxy to feel good again.

I kept going through them at a faster pace than the Dr was prescribing and after an argument over the phone and after reading this thread I tipped what I had left down the toilet. There was even a script waiting for me at the surgery! I decided to quit CT on Thursday morning so that I wouldn't feel completely crap by Friday and after that I knew I couldn't get any over the weekend.

I went and bought a stack of magnesium tablets, paracetamol and ibuprofen. I drank tonnes of water and also a bit of alcohol to try take off the edge. I also had some diazepam to help deal with the withdrawal, which didn't do much tbh.

Anyway, it was basically 5 days of complete hell. I didn't get the vomits but I did get massive sweats, hot and cold and aching muscles/bones. It hurt to go from the lounge to the bed and vice versa. All up it was an uncomfortable 8 days and I am through it now. I still have a little while to go before all of my energy returns.

I've asked my Dr to blacklist me for any opiates unless I am unlucky enough in the future to have some sort of terminal condition. They are just no good for someone like me who has an addictive personality.

So my message to anyone reading this, is try and quit the damn oxy's before it drags on too long as it will get harder and harder (mine was 9 months). Also, that CT is imo the only way to go. It hurts like hell, but if you have some support and you can take a week or so off work then go for it. My shoulder still hurts but I can get away without the oxy's for pain relief now.

Lastly, it really helped to tell all my friends what I was going through when I decided to go CT. Number one, they were very supportive and number two I felt a responsibility to spread the word about the danger of the oxy's.

Good luck everyone. You can do it. Like I first mentioned, reading this thread really helped. If I hadn't of read it I am sure I would of thought I was dying during the withdrawals!