Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
notginger

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them.

I did think about his Dad picking him up, but then I didn't really think that was a good situation to be in for him. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. My first instinct when he asked for a ride was that I'd rather do that than have his Dad showing up with a beer in his hand. I realize I'm protecting him and I guess that's not what I'm supposed to do. That's my problem, I don't know WHAT I'm supposed to do to help vs enable. I'm trying to learn. What I would consider doing something because I care or want to help is apparently actually enabling which I don't want to do.

As far as falling for the line...I guess a part of me has hope that he can beat it and I can help somehow. From what I'm reading I guess this is a wrong way to go about it too. I have no excuse I guess for this except I was soft. Ugh.

I'm a fixer, always have been a fixer and this is apparently a HUGE problem in this situation.

My anxiety issues came before him, but he has been the cause of a huge increase. I'm hoping to help myself with the meetings, I see my psych and am trying to find other sources of help. I'm going to start back with hobbies and activities that have slowed down or stopped over the past few months.

I just don't know. I've never dealt with anything like this (thank God).