Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
zany90

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I didn't use drugs to get and stay sober, and I didn't have the desire to keep drinking. Honestly this sounds mind numbingly complex, and probably would have extended my obsessive thoughts about drinking.. when I put it down for good, it was such a huge relief to not even consider drinking anymore. I think there's a lot of 'ways' to achieve sobriety and recovery, I didn't use a 12 step program, I didn't take meds.. but that's just my story. I hope that it works for you, and that you continue posting about your experience.. if nothing else we can sure learn a lot about recovery methods from each other. To me there was no other 'method' than never drinking again, and though I considered myself a 'real' (hate that term.. but whatever) alcoholic, my desire for recovery/abstinence became stronger than my desire to drink.. and that for me was a life changing moment.
i wish i was like you i really honestly do - but i have battled this addiction for 9 years, it has landed me in so much trouble yet no matter how bad it got, or how bad DTs got after 9 days of drinking vodka and no food or water 24/7, for weeks i would claim never again but then the desire ALWAYS comes back, tricks my mind, and i try it again not even remembering the circumstances... thats why im really hoping this method will help me because when i put the glass down "for keeps" its only a matter of time, and usually only days or weeks that the desire to pick it up again over rides any bad experience ive ever had. thats why im hoping naltrexone will work since if i do pick up the glass, i get nothing from it anyway - and it would help to kill the obsession..

im not willing to stop taking the tablet to get the euphoria back because as strange as this may sound, as an alcoholic i detest being "Drunk", i always liked a few drinks but not drunkenness, so if i drink on this considering there is no euphoria (the bit that got me into trouble) im hoping i wouldnt desire to go on and on until i was in a mess again.

I still havent had a drink since the original post, although i do desire one today. I will try my best not to take one, but i know if i do i will most definitely take the naltrexone first. It isnt going to be a miracle cure either though because it will be about learning to buy only 6 cans, and eventually 5, then 4, then see what happens (possibly the desire leaves completely after my experience on nal) but DEFINITELY take the naltrexone before hand. This is also being used in conjunction with addiction support as well.

Im in my action stage so not delusional enough to think "uck sure il pop a naltrexone and go and buy a litre of rum" because i dont want to be that way any more, i just seem to get it really hard to put it down for keeps, in fact never have been able to . so this way if i slip its about making sure to only buy a small amount and take the pill, and realise after drinking "wow that wasnt worth it"... time and time again of not getting anything out of alcohol reward ways, it becomes pointless..