View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MetalChick
I looked like that holdin beer

I thought I was “special?”

I think this is the right forum for this, and I am a newbie with newbie ideas.

From 12 stupid Things that Mess up Recovery,

Stupid thing 5: “Feeling special and unique. Humility is the spiritual foundation of recovery. In order to feel worthy, we do not need to be unique. People who do best in recovery are those who surrender and follow suggestions.”

I find that very helpful. I know that one of the things that causes me to be disconnected from my recovery is when I feel “unique.” and “special.” I am humbled and glad that I was proven completely wrong in my thinking on that.

For example, I thought that my anxiety was so bad in certain situations that I had to drink to control it, and that nothing else would work. I gave myself a pass on drinking in that situation (I had to drink). People told me that it would get better if I quit drinking, but I was a “special” case. I did get a lot less anxious when I stopped drinking, BTY. That is just one example out of many. Even though I am a stubborn lady/knucklehead, I am learning to stop the excuses, surrender, and give suggestions a honest effort. Gettin' over myself- Ha!