Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Groucho

I didn't have the time to read through the entire thread, but my last time getting sober I was prescribed Naltrexone for about three months. I familiarized myself with what the Sinclair method was all about, but at least on the forum dedicated to it I read far more stories of misery than I did success. Personally, I think claims that it can "cure" alcoholism are horseshit.

Having said that, I freely admit that I never tried to apply the Sinclair method myself. I used Naltrexone as a safety net, with the idea that if I did slip I wouldn't get the same rush of euphoria and urge to keep drinking into a binge. I drank once on it on the first or second day, and that was it. By the time I quit, I was more than ready to be done.

If you decide to try the Sinclair method, I wish you success despite my skepticism. Even so, my strong personal recommendation is to use it as a tool to get sober, and not as an aid towards drinking in moderation. Honestly, the idea of taking a narcotic just so a person can have a couple of drinks without slipping into a binge sounds perfectly awful, and a hell of a clear sign of alcoholic drinking. All the best, whichever way you go.